07 August 2005

Crossing lives

Someone at work retired and had a leaving party on Friday. During the night I managed to speak to the chap (as you do) saying how after 37ish years they were going to have to get someone else to fill his role.

He suggested that it could have been me. I didn’t really want to break it to him that another few years and plans that are brewing will hopefully come to fruition.

But apart from that, just looking around the room at the number of people that attended that night. About 130 could make it, about the same again that would have liked to but couldn’t.

Affecting this many people’s lives, (staff) over that length of time. Just think about the amount of lives that are better off because of him (patients) and the work he has done over the years. It makes you proud to be involved in the job we do. Maybe not every day, with late breaks and interesting management decisions, but like many things in life looking back on the time spent some real good bits stick in your memory and the bad hopefully fades over time and you can recall with rose coloured glasses the years spent working with friends and colleagues.

Even over the small amount of time I have spent in the job I’m already looking back with those glasses firmly placed for most of my four years. And wondering what the next few years will bring.

How many lives are effected by my colleague and I as a crew, and what differences have been made good and bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home