28 August 2005

A bit scary

Yes it has been a while but living life and finding fun has taken a bit of a preference over the last week.
So here's the recap.

After a long wait and a couple of harassing phone calls I got registered with the help of a very nice chap at the HPC it was obviously not him I had previously spoken to he must have been a temp he was too helpful. Anyway, I got my licence.

I was slightly nervous but in a good way. First Paramedic shift, night shift and on with a new technician. (No-one to turn to)
The shift was ok got to use some of my new skills. The next couple of nights proved the same with a fair number of standby calls made to the Royal.

A Standby Call = my pt is very unwell we have stopped them dying at the moment can you be ready to take over when we arrive thanks.

Got to cannulate my first fitting pt, whilst still fitting and give drugs. FUN!
So night shift was over and we escaped with no more damage to be done.

Saturday night we went to a comedy show. ended up sitting in the front row in the middle. That was a bad idea we were picked on throughout the show, in a nice way. It was great fun and if anyone gets a chance to see Stephen K Amos I would recommend it.

Sunday we went down to the countryside. Mountain biking, walking etc great just to escape and unwind. Then back to work on Thursday, Fri, Sat, Sun early shifts

Not too eventful until first thing Saturday morning when our patient X decided to have a major heart attach in the entryway of a rather large hotel in the nook. so we arrived and so did the RRU (Rapid Response Unit).

Better to have three pairs of hands so I grab the bag and the O2 and make my way inside. Arriving at the pt and look round to find no sign of my partner or the RRU paramedic. So I got on with my job, after about 3-4 mins the other two arrive at my side (they got chatting outside) saying "oh your well on your way! What can we get you?”

Cheers guys.

So after giving the pt all the standard drugs for chest pain and attaching the monitor we complete the 12 lead ECG and confirm an inferior MI.
So I start asking all the questions and beginning to explain about the drug TNK that we are about to give them and the pt says “I don't care, if it could help me just give it to me.”

Ok so I do.

In the back ground at this stage the other two sent the ECG to CCU at the Royal via the modem. CCU then called back and tells my partner that they think we should give the drug, at which he smirks and points out to the staff nurse on the end of the phone that I had already but thanks for the call anyway and we would see him soon.

Apparently there are a lot of crews on the road that have been waiting for CCU give the go ahead before administrating the drug.

Then it was a rather fast journey in to the Royal.
I should probably explain the drug we gave the pt has a mortality rate of just less than 1% and other complications. So to be fair it is a scary drug.

In the case of this patient the drug managed to revert the third degree heart block the pt was in but did nothing for the ST elevation (ECG - Bit of the wigglie line that was bad)

So since I have been here it has been busy.
It's fun having the skills and the responsibility is something you come to terms with but it is nice to be able to do more for your pts.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kal said...

Whoa whoa whoa, you had a PT with an MI in a hospital and they called an ambulance?!

WGH?

10:10 am  
Blogger Nursie999 said...

Oi Kal watch what your saying!

9:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home